Posted by Carter | Under Fall Travel
Thursday Sep 25, 2014
More Cheap Fall Getaways: Touring Lisbon on a Budget
Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal, is also the largest city in the country. Lisbon’s presence as the greatest westernmost city on the Atlantic Coast of Europe, and its important role in international trade, commerce, and entertainment has helped it grow into the flourishing tourism destination that it is today. Given its place as the seventh most visited city in the southern half of Europe, it should come as no surprise that the Lisbon has plenty to offer travelers of all economic backgrounds.
The rich culture and history of Portugal are only matched by the natural beauty that the area displays. Lisbon, in particular, has a lush history which is shown through the network of museums throughout the city and through the general architecture of the area. Lisbon also sports the warmest winters among the large cities of Europe.
Tips For Touring Lisbon on a Budget
Finding cheap fall getaways is easier than your think, and Lisbon is a great place to start. Here are some tips for making the most out of your trip to Lisbon while staying within your budget:
- Free tours – There are abundant free tours available in Lisbon. Most of these operate through the efforts of either one or two guides and their only form of payment for this process is through a tips basis. For budget travel, this concept is hard to beat. One tour takes visitors to locations special to literary figures of Lisbon, including Jose Saramago. These are referred to as “Chill Out” tours.
- Off season deals – Fall and winter are usually referred to as the off-season in Europe. This holds true in Lisbon as well. Try and call in advance and see if there are any deals on either travel or lodgings that take place during the off season. This is one of the best ways to save money.
- Stay in a hostel – Some travelers don’t believe that staying in a hostel is a viable option, or that hostels are for only youthful travelers. but it can save massive amounts of money on lodgings and serve as an introduction to many interesting fellow travelers! Sharing space in this way can be compared to your first college dorm room experience, just with more people.
- Visit neighborhoods on foot – Particularly Carmo, where the remains of the old city can be seen. It was here that an earthquake and tsunami destroyed large parts of the city.
- Sunday morning is free morning – Most of the monuments and museums in the city are free on Sunday mornings, which allow visitors to see some of the most spectacular things the city has to offer at no cost.
- Speak with the locals – One of the benefits of travel is the ability to speak with people outside of your own culture to both grow and expand as a person. During the off-season you will be privy to more relaxed interactions. Beyond that, the locals will be able to tell you more information about great places to eat, events that may be going on, and some of the more “off the books” local history.
Lisbon is a great travel destination, particularly for those looking for cheap fall getaways.
Cheap Lisbon Car Rentals with Kemwel
Save on car rentals in Portugal with Kemwel! We offer the guaranteed cheapest rates in the travel industry on all Lisbon car rentals. Kemwel has access to an extensive fleet of car rentals in Lisbon from two-person minis to nine-passenger vans for groups and large families. You can even pick up your cheap rental car right after you land in the Lisbon Airport. You should also consider a Peugeot short-term car lease as an alternative savings opportunity should you be traveling from Lisbon through Portugal for more than twenty-one days. Get more bang for your buck to enjoy the natural beauty and exciting cityscapes of Lisbon with Kemwe! Book a Peugeot short-term lease or cheap Lisbon car rental with Kemwel’s secure online booking engine today! For your convenience, you can also choose to call us toll-free at 1-877-820-0668 to make your reservation.